Navigation Options

 About Us    Economic    Social    Surveys    Other Statistics    Publications    Maps   
 

  HIES 2013 Report (Press Release #S002-15)


HIES 2013 Report
Federated States of Micronesia


Survey Results Indicated 2 Out of Every 3 FSM Households Struggles to Make Ends Meet

Press Release #S002-15
Palikir, Pohnpei - Office of SBOC
May 15, 2015

According to the latest publication released from the FSM Statistics Office entitled Household Income and Expenditure Survey (HIES) 2013/14: Main Analysis Report, about 63% (2 out of every 3) of households in the FSM in 2013/14 incurred dissaving; in other words, their expenditure is more than their income. These are typically households whose annual income is below $15,000.


Comparison of average annual total income and expenditure by income groups – including imputed rents (US$)

Additionally, in 2014 prices, average monthly household disposable income has declined from $1,433 to $1,092 indicating a 3.3% loss of purchasing power each year for FSM households since 2005. Other interesting findings in the report include:

1. Household Income
The total household income in 2013/14 was estimated at $283 million. The main broad income categories, listed in order of significance to FSM households, are as follows: (i) employment income, (ii) regular transfers, (iii) other casual income, and (iv) property income. The estimated national average annual household income in 2013/14 was $16,950. The average annual household income was reportedly highest in Pohnpei at $22,293, then Kosrae at $18,461, Yap at $17,768 and lowest in Chuuk at $11,398.

2. Household Expenditure
The total household expenditure in 2013/14 was estimated at $237 million. The estimated average annual household expenditure in 2013/14 was $14,219. The average annual household expenditure was reportedly highest in Pohnpei at $18,159 then Kosrae at $16,072, Yap at $13,801 and lowest in Chuuk at $10,358.

3. Household Savings– Nationally, FSM households make an average saving of $2,731.  Households which were likely to make savings (their expenditures less than their income) were those with an average annual income of $15,000 or more. Around 37% of the households in the FSM had annual income of this level. The remaining 63% of households earn less than $15,000 and were not making any savings.

4. Demographic characteristics – The FSM population size in 2013 was estimated at 103,382 compared to 102,843 in 2010, indicating a population increase of 0.5% representing about 539 more people. The average household size remains about the same with 6.1 persons per household in 2010 and 6.2 in 2013.

Finer discussions on these highlights are elaborated in the report which can be downloaded here.

The report is the first output from the final phase of the HIES project. Releasing this report within only eight (8) months after the completion of the data collection is an achievement, as in the past it normally took about two (2) years. Such achievement is attributed to the strong support from the highest level of government and its recognition of the importance of timely statistics, especially from major national surveys such as the HIES.

As a national survey, the conduct of the HIES underwent an extensive consultation, thorough preparation and careful planning involving key stakeholders, survey experts from both the FSM and international/sub-regional organizations to ensure its findings are credible, reliable and relevant.  The survey was found to have achieved its objectives and its findings are of high quality.  However,the true testimony to its success will depend on how widely the findings are used and contributed to the process of decision-making and policy formulation.  According to the Director of SBOC, Ms. Evelyn Adolph, “the survey results provide useful information on socio-economic situation of FSM households. This information will inform policy makers in framing social developmental policies and in initiating financial measures for improving the economic conditions of the people”.

Other outputs from the FSM HIES 2013/14 that will follow this report include a poverty assessment report, which will provide a snapshot of the standard of living in the FSM, and subject-specific factsheets. It is hoped that these specialized and shorter reports will encourage and help the casual readers to benefit from the key survey findings.

For inquiries regarding this press release, contact Mr. Mathew Chigiyal, Assistant Director for Statistics, Office of SBOC at telephone (691) 320-2823/2824 or by email mchigiyal@sboc.fm.

{END}


 
  Search Article Title
   
 
  Statistics Data Sources
   
  More Information
Links to Other Websites
Archived Articles